Monday, August 4, 2008

Tagged

I was tagged by Jennie Lynn about 12 years ago and here I am, finally getting around to actually doing it.

List 10 books you've read recently that you'd recommend to others. (One stipulation--you CAN'T list any of the Twilight series books.)

**A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - Along with the author's other book, The Kiterunner, this is a book that makes me so grateful to be a woman living where I live and when I live. This book hooked me bad on the very first page and kept me there until it was through.

**The Parenting Breakthrough by Merrilee Boyack - I swear no parent should try parenting without reading this book at some point. I go back through it all the time with my highlighter in hand!

**Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See - This is one of my all time favorite books. I loved learning about the Chinese culture and the rich traditions that are so much a part of their lives.

**The Host by Stephenie Meyer - I was a little reluctant to start this one. I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi and hate books that cause me to jump on the bandwagon, but. . . I ended up really enjoying it once I got into it.

**Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - I love the way this book is written and the beautiful language in it.

**A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel - Such a fun little book about growing up in a small Indiana town. I loved the simplicity of this book and the way it caused me to think back upon my own childhood and the memories that I hold. I have been dying to start writing my own stories after reading it.

**The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale - This book is a fairy tale . . . a happy story that I found refreshing after the somewhat depressing books I find myself drawn to.

**Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza - Although hard to read at times, another book that made me feel so blessed to live where I live. The author is an amazing example of having a positive attitude, even as everything that means anything to her is taken away.

**The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards - Okay, so I haven't really decided if I would recommend this book or not. I definitely liked aspects of it. . . I'm still thinking about this one!

**The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom - Another example of an amazing woman living through the Holocaust, losing everything and yet possessing an incredible amount of faith in God through it all.

I'm tagging Tierra, Christina, Jacque and Jamie


7 comments:

Tierra said...

So I was reading your list while I waited for my client, who came in SO frustrated. Her 3 year old had just wrapped her exercise band around her 1 year old's neck and was dragging him by it around the living room--awesome. I told her about your love for the Parenting Breakthrough--with the warning that I had no idea what it was about but that sounded like a Miles idea--and guess what?!? She was gonna stop at Border's on the way home!

The McCulloughs said...

Thanks so much for the list!! I have been wanting to read Kiterunner and his other book so they are on my list for sure! I also have The Host, but haven't read it yet! So sad that we won't being seeing you at Big Booty 3! Hope you are well though!

Megan said...

Thanks for the list. You know I don't really read, well except People, but I really wanted to read a book this summer. I will let you know what I do. What day is your race? Good luck.

Christina said...

Hey, thanks for thinking of me, but I might have to sit this tag out! :) Seriously, I have been on a reading drought the last year, which is unusual for me. I just barely read the Twilight series after my sisters talked me into it and I read Eat, Pray, Love a few months back, but that's it since Jan. Oh, of course except for the books I read to my kids! And I do love the Parenting Breakthrough, a good one! So, you're not going to BB3? I'm sad I won't see you!

The Ashcroft's said...

I just jotted down some of your books, Thanks for the list. We have similar taste because your list looks similar to what mine might be. I haven't been reading as much as I would like to lately, so I might not have 10 but we'll see...

JLJ said...

Great list! I have never heard of the Parenting Breakthrough, but I'm definitely going to check it out now.

Mark and JanaRae said...

I'm pretty sure none of those books have more pictures than words so you can count me out on reading them. Also, HOW THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS! I chatted with Jamie at Joel's wedding and she said you guys were doing well. Then, when I went to add her to our list of blogging buddies I saw your names on her site so here I am. If you really want to know what we're up to... http://mjhemingway.blogspot.com/
By the way, I'm working on my masters degree through Utah State so I guess I'm an Aggie - ugh. But I thought you'd be proud... Oh ya, one of our interns at work has a car and guess what he said it's name is? Satan... Seriously, who would name their car that?