Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Firsts

Monday was Miles first day of preschool. He keeps asking me, 'fall-time yet?' because he knows that's when he starts. He's confused about the fact that the leaves are still on the trees and green as ever. He was ready and waiting on Monday morning when the bus pulled up in front of our house. Things were so much different from 8 months ago when I had to drag him up the bus steps, pry him off my leg and hope that he'd survive his first day, as I wiped the tears off my own cheeks at the thoughts of sending my barely 3 year old off on a school bus! He's grown so much in that time, added so many words to his repertoire, and become independent and ready to face the preschool world alone.





Jackson finally started Kindergarten today. He has been so excited and ready all summer long. After many minutes of clothing preparation he was in the car and ready to go. We headed up to the school, where he led the way straight to his classroom, hung his backpack on his reserved hook, and walked in without so much as a backwards glance. I was so proud of his confidence and so glad to know that he felt prepared to make this BIG step.

Upon returning home, he told me that he would NOT be wearing flip flops tomorrow because he was the ONLY boy wearing them. "Only the girls wear flip flops to kindergarten, mom!" Seriously? The things that kid notices.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Cute pictures! I swear you have the cutest kids!

Megan said...

You really do have the cutest kids. OK I kind of feel dumb asking because it was nothing, but did you get your bday gift in the mail? Like I said it was nothing but happy late, birthday!

Tierra said...

Kate I can't believe how big Jacks looks in that picture. I guess Miles too--crazy.

JLJ said...

Jackson totally smiles like Nate. And I'm jealous that your kids get to wear flip flops (even though apparently he won't ever again) to school.