Monday, January 28, 2008

Left Standing in the Snow


Today I put my barely 3 year old Miles on a bus. He started a new preschool at the elementary school to help with his speech. There I stood, snow swirling around me as watched it pull away with my little guy on board, holding back the tears.

I've always known the day would arrive, even looked forward to it just a bit, that I would send each one of my kids off into the big world on a school bus. I just didn't think it would come this fast. I didn't think I'd feel so sentimental, but I just want to keep my arms around him just a little longer. Hold on to him and protect him from the big scary things that might be waiting for him. I know this is a great opportunity for him and for us. . . I'm sure it will help him catch up in the words department, but just for today I'm a little sad and wanting to keep my little ones little forever!

6 comments:

JamieD said...

Little cute Miles! You made me get all weepy reading this (you jerk) it reminded me about how hard it was to send #1 away on a bus to Kindergarten, and #2 is just in a few months.. I can't even imagine sending the E on a bus yet. You are a brave, strong mama! I'm excited to hear all about Miles's adventures at school- and knowing Miles there will be some good ones! I have to compliment your photography skills.. that picture with the snow swirling around the bus0..very cool. You need to enter that pic and the story to Parents Magazine or something you'd win for sure. I'm willing to create my own award that you could enter. Thanks for the comments. I most definitly thought of you while at Gymboree- so lets for sure go to P.City and shop- or if we need warmer weather I'm thinking all girl weekend in St. George!
PS- So glad to hear you haven't forgotten IT's ROLLING! Such a classic moment in Katie and Jamie history.

Christina said...

Oh how sad, I know it will feel the same way for me when I send Austin off to preschool, let alone kindergarten! He talks about going to school all the time with the "big kids" on the yellow school bus...I think he's almost ready to early! Such an independent little guy! That is cool though and I'm sure Miles will do well, by the way, very COOL PIC!

Oh, and how fun for Nate to go skiing with Jacks! We are taking Austin next weekend on the rope tow for his first big thrill, Eric's so excited!

The Ashcroft's said...

OHHH Katie, yes it is so bittersweet. On the one hand you have them off your hands for a few hours, but on the other they are still so little to be quite so independent. Macy wishes she could take the bus to school, it's way cooler than your MOM taking you. Good Luck, I am sure you'll get used to it quicker than you think.

Shoestring Weddings, Parties & Events said...

Are you trying to make us all cry?!?! I know it's scary, but he will be great. He's a tough kid, that's for sure!!!

You DO have to order those shoes on my blog for Lola. I agree.

AND, thanks for the darling card!! Your kids are the cutest.

Amber

JLJ said...

I'm going to be doing the same thing on Feb 14 - sending #2 off to school district preschool (for speech purposes). However there will be no school bus transportation for us, unless, that is, I want him to get jumped!

You'll have to keep us updated on how he adjusts to the school.

brittney said...

sweet miles...what a tender moment. am is right, he is sooo strong...he is not going to take any crap from ANYBODY! Atleast, you know he'll stick up for himself.