Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Extinguish

So my boys have invented this little game they call extinguish. We have experienced book extinguish, blanket extinguish, puzzle extinguish and the new one. . . diaper extinguish. I'm not sure where Jackson came up with the term 'extinguish' - maybe he had some preschool lesson on firefighting skills and decided to come up with a game revolving around it.

Anyway, the basic rule to extinguish is that whatever is being 'extinguished' is scattered. So book extinguish - every single book; blanket extinguish - any and every blanket they can find in our house; puzzle extinguish (my personal favorite) - puzzle pieces from thousands of different puzzles all over their room. Just the other day I found them in the middle of a riveting game of diaper extinguish in which every diaper from a new Sams Club pack was thrown in Lola's crib as they frollicked around in them.

I promise I do watch my kids. . . these are those rare moments when I think my boys are getting along and I try to get a thing or two done (usually something super fun like cleaning my toilet). . . only to walk into the biggest mess of my life. Even after spending half the day cleaning up after extinguish, they still tend to revert back to it from time to time.

And. . . to be honest. . . there are days when extinguish isn't a horrible trade-off for a few moments of brotherly love!

3 comments:

brittney said...

oh my heck...that is the funniest game...SOOO funny! hope your value progressive dinner was FABULOUS! i'm sure it was a perfect in every way!!!!

JLJ said...

I know what you mean, I'll let my kids get away with almost anything if they are getting along well. We have a version of extinguish at our house, we call it 24/7, because that is how often they play it.

Allison said...

ha ha ha! all I can do is laugh because I know exactly what you are talking about! I seriously wonder sometimes if order will EVER be restored to this house of mine. I was sick today, one of those days that you seriously can't get off the couch or you'll puke, kind of days, so can you even begin to imagine the damage that has been inflicted upon my home? One day we will miss these times..... right?