Sunday, January 6, 2013

Keepin' it classy. . . and real

This might just be my favorite picture from the Christmas season.  So classy.  But so real life.  Stella in the nude, in the middle of December.  Lola pouting for unknown reasons.  The boys happy as can be.  And cute Steve and Betty.

We had headed over to Nate's parents to deliver their charlie brown tree that we had chopped down and to help them get it set up since Betty had just had her knee replaced.  Right when we got there Stella had a big blowout.  And no change of clothes.  But we had such a fun night visiting with grandparents and helping them get festive. 

We live in such an interesting world.  I love the technology.  I love blogs, instagram and pinterest.  I love all the great ideas I can find that make me seem like I'm on top of things.  The fun things that make memories with my kids.  But I hate all the comparing.  The worrying that we're not good enough because of what other moms are doing for their kids.  Wondering how other people seemingly do it all when some days I struggle to even get dressed before 3 in the afternoon. 

Someone put this quote on instagram and I love, love, love it:
"i promise you, my life is not perfect. . . I just focus on the good stuff and put a filter on it."

It's so, so true.  Recently I ran into one of Nate's cousins and she was telling me how much fun it is to follow along with our little family on instagram.  She told me of how the main thing that stood out to her when she saw my posts was that she could tell from my pictures that I love being a mother.  I was so touched that she saw that in my pictures because I truly love what I get to do every single day.  I feel so lucky that Nate works so hard and makes it possible for me to have this dream job.  But there are so many hard, discouraging, lonely, overwhelming, messy moments that also happen during those same days.  And for the most part I don't focus on that. . .that's not really the part that other people get to see.  We all tend to focus on the good, and I think that's the great thing. As long as we don't compare our worst moments to other peoples best.  Because really, we're all just doing the best job we can and I think that's really all that matters.

3 comments:

JLJ said...

I think if we all posted a little more of the keepin' it real photos, we'd all be a lot happier. I love the Charlie Brown tree is the background, with the tip chopped off :)

It was nice to chat with Nate and I'm sad I missed seeing you!

Elise said...

Well, I have been slacking at checking your blog and was thrilled to find THREE unread posts-I love that! Loved all three of them. You seriously are such a good mom to four of the cutest kiddos in the world. I am so lucky to live close enough to spend lots of time with you guys. I totally get ya about those bad days, but such a good perspective to focus on the good, filter the bad. I need to do a little more of that lately! Love ya, Kate!

Chelsea said...

Love that picture and love this post! Love that quote.