Sunday, May 29, 2011

2nd Grade Race

Our new elementary school has each grade train for a race at the end of the school year. In second grade it's 1/2 mile. For months now, the kids have been spending their morning recess, rain or shine, practicing. I love this! I love that they're learning how to get in shape. . . how to compete. . . and even how to win or lose.



Jacks was so serious about this whole thing. . . determined to beat some of the faster kids in his grade. He woke up that morning with butterflies in his stomach. He did so well. . . ran as hard as he possibly could. . . and took 3rd place! He wore his little plastic metal all day long with great pride.



I don't much care whether my kids win, lose, or fall somewhere in between. But I love to see them work hard at something, set a goal and work towards achieving that goal. I love to see the pride that comes from hard work. Way to go Jacks!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yay Jacks. That is cool that they have them train for a race. And Jackson definitely has both you and Nate's competitiveness I would say.

JLJ said...

That is so cute! 3rd place, that is awesome!